Picture of As an officer how much time are you away from home/children?

As an officer how much time are you away from home/children?

Picture of Caroline
3 responses

Additional information

Work/life balance

Declan X. asked a question to Caroline M.

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Last reviewed: Thursday, June 11, 2020

Picture of Caroline M.

Caroline M.

Troop Commander

Hi Declan. It very much depends on where you are based and what the Squadron or Company that you are part of are doing at that time. During training at Sandhurst you are very busy so only get about 1 weekend a month to go home and see your family. When you start your job as a Troop Commander / Platoon Commander it is likely that if you are not deployed you would be able to go home every weekend. Last year I spent 7 months in the Falklands and had 2 weeks of R&R in the middle when I could go home so it very much depends and you have to be flexible. I am currently working at a Training Regiment and here I can normally go home every weekend.

Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Declan X.

Is there an expectation for young officers to live in the mess? Or can they go straight to SFA if married?

Thursday, April 23, 2020

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hi Declan, If you are married you can apply for SFA when you get your first posting (during training you can't live in SFA). You won't be expected to live in the mess, but you will be encouraged to have an active role in mess life, it's a great way to get to know your colleagues.

Thursday, June 11, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?