Picture of As a vet officer, how much control do you get on where you work (closer to cities or countryside, abroad or not, etc)?

As a vet officer, how much control do you get on where you work (closer to cities or countryside, abroad or not, etc)?

Picture of Tori
1 response

Thomas U. asked a question to Medical

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Monday, November 30, 2020

Last reviewed: Friday, December 11, 2020

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hello, I've asked one of my veterinary officer colleagues to answer this one for you, their answer is below; 'Whenever you are due to go to the jobs board (around every 2 years) you can submit a posting preference proforma highlighting your job preferences from those that are available on that jobs board (this will vary from year to year). The board then considers your preferences, along with recommendations from your line manager, your experience and any welfare considerations that may be applicable. They will try to place you in the job you want, but at the end of the day, the needs of the service sometimes need to take priority and you won't necessarily get the job you wanted. The RAVC is predominantly located around the East Midlands and the start of your career will be based there, with some jobs further south and some in London, so it would be sensible to be prepared to work in those locations.' I believe there are also occasionally postings abroad for veterinary officers, although I think they can be quite competitive. I hope that answers your question, best of luck with your application.

Friday, December 11, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?