Picture of Can I join I have 2 kids

Can I join I have 2 kids

Picture of Jen
4 responses

Additional information

I have 2 children are there any roles I could do there in the army? I have family and support

Anonymous asked a question to Reserves

Category: General

Date asked: Friday, September 17, 2021

Last reviewed: Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Picture of Jen C.

Jen C.

Reservist Brigade SO2 SPS

As long as you pass the eligibility and selection criteria anyone can join the army. It doesn't matter how many children you have / haven't got. Joining the Army with children could be difficult during training as you are not able to go home every night and some people struggle with being away from their children or if you don't have good childcare plans in place. During training you do get some weekends off where you can go home. After training the army is basically (to some degree) like a normal job (notwithstanding exercise, tours etc).

Monday, September 20, 2021

Yasmin I.

Thankyou for your response. Could I please ask how long training is ? Just so I know what roughly to expect?.

Monday, September 20, 2021

Picture of Jen C.

Jen C.

Reservist Brigade SO2 SPS

Training for a soldier is 14 weeks. You will have a long weekend (i think on the 5th wknd) and a few other weekends after wk 5. You will have access to your phone from day 1 (in the evening as you're busy in the day) and can FaceTime etc. You will probably find that you are not the only person with kids going through training and the staff there will support you if there are problems at home etc during this time. From someone who has 3 kids (although i had mine after training) I truly believe the army is a great organisation to work in. Notwithstanding exercises etc you are able to get away to watch your kids assemblys or xmas plays etc. No-one is going to get you to put leave in if you have to collect a child to take them to the Drs / dentist etc. The army is pretty supportive to families!!

Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Yasmin I.

Okay thankyou so much for your reply. Sounds like the army might actually work out for me and my family

Tuesday, September 21, 2021

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?