Picture of Best courses available for combat infantry roles.

Best courses available for combat infantry roles.

10 responses

Additional information

What courses would be available to help gain combat experience for soldiering.

Joshua Z. asked a question to Combat

Category: Open positions

Date asked: Saturday, October 5, 2019

Last reviewed: Friday, November 22, 2019

James A.

Reconnaissance Platoon soldier

Josh, Is your question relating to prior to joining or once you have started basic training/your unit? J

Sunday, October 6, 2019

Joshua Z.

Hi James. Thanks for getting back. This question is aimed at basic training and also perhaps once I have completed phase 2 and I am looking to progress within the future. Kind regards.

Sunday, October 6, 2019

James A.

Josh, All depends on your interests and abilities. There are so many courses available in a combat stream. Below to name a few - Reconnaissance course Sniper course Promotion ( after gaining experience ) Driving courses Assault pioneer courses Heavy and support weapons courses Driving courses Adventurous training courses including sport and qualifications Education Physical training instructor courses Jungle warfare instructor courses These are just a few examples of courses available certainly within the welsh guards and some, other combat infantry units. The course really does depend on what you want to get out of your career J

Sunday, October 6, 2019

Joshua Z.

James, This is all great, thank you for getting back so quickly and with so much information. As someone who had carried out the reconnaissance course. What did it entail and how have you felt as if you have benefitted? Thanks, Josh.

Monday, October 7, 2019

James A.

Joshua, thanks for your response. As any course you do in your military career, it’s all experience and a new skill to add. The recce cadre is physically demanding and not not only did it improve my physical fitness but my skill set being around likeminded motivated individuals. The basic skills need to be carried out at the highest ability. For example; map reading, fitness and basic fieldcraft need to be spot on to succeed as a reconnaissance soldier. Regards

Saturday, October 19, 2019

Josh G.

I would like to do joinery with in the army. •What exactly would I be doing? •Would phase one be basic training in joinery or in army survival kind. •Ph2 about joinery or still army survival training •Also would I get weapons training and be able to do my driving qualifications if I did become a joiner. Stay safe Kind regards Joshleew

Monday, November 4, 2019

James A.

Josh Thanks for your response mate. To be a joiner within the army, you would need to join the royal engineers. Click on the below link to find out more https://apply.army.mod.uk/roles/royal-engineers/carpenter-and-joiner Phase 1 training is learning the become a soldier, everyone in the British Army will complete phase 1 before moving on to trade training. Everyone is required to be a competent soldier first. As mentioned above, phase 2 is where you would learn your trade. For example, you would go away and learn to first become a combat engineer then moving on to becoming a joiner. No matter what your trade or job role, you will be required to complete weapons training and ranges every year. Driving qualifications will be necessary with every trade within the army. You should achieve a hgv licence within 12 months of arriving at your unit. Hope this answers your question J

Monday, November 4, 2019

Joshua Z.

Hi James. Thanks for getting back to me with so much detail. As a valid member of the army. What courses specifically have you done and also how have you found your experience?

Saturday, November 16, 2019

James A.

Hi Joshua, Apologies on the late response. My experience has been one I would recommend to anyone. I left school with very little qualifications, joined the infantry, travelled all across the world on various exercises/operations, earn a decent pay packet and experienced things not many civilians get to experience.. for free too! I have done promotion courses, job specific courses such as weapons and reconnaissance. I am qualified to drive anything up to an arctic lorry. I have been to various countries on courses such as rock climbing and skiing courses aswell as getting various sports coaching qualifications int he U.K. J

Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Joshua Z.

Hi James. Thanks for the feedback!! From what I've gathered I have a lot to look forward too and it seems like there is a lot to look into as well as get out the way once I hit the ground running.

Friday, November 22, 2019

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?