Picture of Is 26 too old to join as a pilot?

Is 26 too old to join as a pilot?

Picture of Amie
1 response

Additional information

I've not felt 'ready' up until this point, but now with a few years' life experience under my belt, I'd like to apply as an Officer Pilot.

Guy B. asked a question to Combat

Category: Open positions

Date asked: Friday, October 14, 2022

Last reviewed: Sunday, October 16, 2022

Picture of Amie B.

Amie B.

MT JNCO

Good afternoon Guy, If you are interested in Officer Pilot, then no, 26 is not too young, however you don't have much time to wait around. You must join before your 29th birthday, in order to enter Sandhurst to complete Officer training. As a side note, you must be on your pilot course before your 30th birthday, but it's recommended you commence the pilot application before your 28th birthday as there a number of stages in the selection process which can take up to a year. I hope that isn't too confusing for you. You can see more information here (https://apply.army.mod.uk/roles/army-air-corps/officer-pilot). If you don't qualify to join as an Officer Pilot, then you can join as a soldier, and apply to be a pilot that way. The pilot selection process is very similar to the officer route, but you require zero qualifications. You also need to be recommended Lance Corporal (your first promotion) before starting pilot training. The age cut off is similar to the above (on course before you're 30 years old, applied before you turn 28 advisable). However, as you're currently 26, it might be cutting it fine. Assuming you join the army tomorrow, you will need to wait 2-3 years on average to be recommended your first promotion, which would then take you above the age cut off. I hope that helps, but if you have any further questions, get in touch and I will answer as best I can.

Sunday, October 16, 2022

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?