Picture of Does AFC Harrogate get you qualifications. I want to become an officer so I need certain qualifications to apply.

Does AFC Harrogate get you qualifications. I want to become an officer so I need certain qualifications to apply.

Picture of Jen
1 response

Additional information

To apply as an officer I need A-Levels. Would AFC Harrogate offer equivalent qualifications?

Anonymous asked a question to Combat

Category: Career Advice

Date asked: Friday, January 14, 2022

Last reviewed: Friday, January 21, 2022

Picture of Jen C.

Jen C.

Reservist Brigade SO2 SPS

Joining the Army Foundation College Harrogate is joining as a soldier. Depending on your age now you could choose to stay at your school and apply for a 6th Form Scholarship which leads down the officer route. There are many many individuals who go to AFC(H) at 16 and then decide to go the officer route as then it's not just about qualifications (you do get quals at AFC(H), during trade training and throughout your time in the army) but about you as a person and the experiences, reports and ultimately references that you've gained since being in the army. There are individuals who attend basic training who get picked up to go to Officer training or there's people in their 20s who decide they want to give it a go. You cannot be an officer until you're at least 18 so you could join AFC(H) with the intent of going for officer selection later, or do your A'levels or equiv and apply once you are 18. Good luck - i hope this has helped a bit.

Friday, January 21, 2022

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?