Picture of Do you get qualifications at AFC Harrogate? If so, would they be equivalent to A-Levels?

Do you get qualifications at AFC Harrogate? If so, would they be equivalent to A-Levels?

Picture of Steven
6 responses

Additional information

Specifically regarding Junior Paras.

Anonymous asked a question to Combat

Category: Eligibility

Date asked: Thursday, March 19, 2020

Last reviewed: Thursday, March 19, 2020

Picture of Steven R.

Steven R.

Light-role Infantryman

I'm afraid I don't know if there are any special exceptions to this, however I do know that you will recieve a BTEC certificate in Public Services and a selection of functional skills at level 1 and level 2, these include: maths, english and ICT. These will be very useful in your career as you will need these to reach certain ranks depending on your job role. There is a plethora of furthur educational qualifications to be attained whilst in the British Army after completeing your basic training. Many soldiers go on to complete their degree in certain subjects while still serving. While it would be impossible to list everything, I can say that there are many qualifications attained in this career without even realising, for example, a WO2 in the infantry will end up with a level 7 in management, this is the equivilant of a degree. Hope this has been of some use, please feel free to ask any furthur questions and best of luck in the career you choose.

Thursday, March 19, 2020

Anonymous

Is the BTEC in Public Services a level 3 qualification? I have the option to go to college and do a course called Level 3 extended diploma in Public Services and I am curious if they are the same?

Thursday, March 19, 2020

James A.

Reconnaissance Platoon soldier

The public services qualification won’t open many opportunities up for the time you have served doing it. I believe a level 3 qualification in college will take 2 years minimum, where as in AFC Harrogate you will be earning a wage and do it alongside military training with a lot more hands on. J

Thursday, March 19, 2020

Anonymous

I am probably going to do A-Levels and join when I am 18. Although I would like to join at 16, my mother most like will not let me anyway.

Thursday, March 19, 2020

James A.

Reconnaissance Platoon soldier

What job choice are you looking to join? Some jobs will open up with a levels, however most require GCSE’s only. You are required parental consent from the offset if you are under 18 years of age and will then require a signature to enlist. J

Thursday, March 19, 2020

Anonymous

Im looking to join either the infantry or the engineers as a squaddie. Either the Parachute Regiment or 23 Parachute Engineer regiment

Thursday, March 19, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?