Picture of Can you do your foundation training with the army (fy2)?

Can you do your foundation training with the army (fy2)?

Picture of Tori
1 response

Additional information

I've always wanted to be in the army, however I went to Prague for my medical degree then came back to get my GMC license, I was wondering if I could do my foundation years with the army and continue with speciality training in the army as well?

Anonymous asked a question to Medical

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Last reviewed: Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hello, There are two main entry points in to the military. The first is while at medical school, the second is after FY2. To complete FY2 with the military you would have needed to join at medical school, and unfortunately that would have required attending a medical school within the UK. If you have or are about to get full GMC registration you can start the application during your foundation years. If successful, you would then join the Army on completion of FY2. You would then complete 3 years as a GDMO (including your officer training at RMAS). In your final year as a GDMO you can apply for a military specialty training post (specialty training in the military gives you the same qualification as your NHS colleagues, and follows a very similar pathway). I hope that helps, let me know if you have any further questions.

Wednesday, March 30, 2022

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?