Picture of when I'm a soldier I'll go home during the week or just over the weekend?

when I'm a soldier I'll go home during the week or just over the weekend?

Picture of Jen
1 response

Anonymous asked a question to Carl S.

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Saturday, April 2, 2022

Last reviewed: Saturday, April 23, 2022

Picture of Jen C.

Jen C.

Reservist Brigade SO2 SPS

Hi, there is a common misconception that when you join the army you live behind a wire, in camp and that's your life! Totally false. Being in the Army is like any other job - it's a job. Yes, we have to go on exercises or on operations overseas but when we aren't away the army is just like any sort of 9-5 job with plenty more perks - usually we do physical training / sport at least x2 a week (during work time), you could have an early finish on a Friday or a late start on a MOnday. There's flexibility quite often for example if you need to take your car for an MOT! We get 35 days leave a year which is more than most employers! Most people have lives outside the army - they might be in a band, play for the local sports club, have a family that relies on them etc etc. When you are in training you won't be able to go home that often, but after your 14 weeks however you spend your wknd / evenings (when you're not on duty, ops, ex) is entirely up to you.

Saturday, April 23, 2022

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?