Picture of I want to be an army musician but I’m not that physical, not amazing at music theory I’m worried I won’t be good enough.

I want to be an army musician but I’m not that physical, not amazing at music theory I’m worried I won’t be good enough.

Picture of Robert
1 response

Additional information

Im 16 and doing my a levels in history music and psychology

Start new discussionBrowse other categories

Anonymous asked a question to Music and Ceremonial

Category: Medical

Date asked: Friday, February 16, 2024

Last reviewed: Monday, February 26, 2024

Picture of Robert N.

Robert N.

Lead Recruiter - Armed Forces Careers Office - Sheffield

Good Afternoon - I've listed some information on joining the Army as a Musician Soldier. The entry standards in terms of physical fitness are the lowest of all jobs within the Army. Here is a snapshot; Entry requirements Age: From 16 years & 6 months to 36 years & 11 months Qualifications: You must already play a musical instrument to a high standard and are required to pass an audition, which includes: Two contrasting pieces Technical exercises Sight reading and aural perception assessment A general musicianship assessment (inc Musical Theory assessment) Interview All standard Army entrance requirements Basic physical fitness assessment: Mid Thigh Pull 50kg Medicine Ball Throw 2.7m MSFT (beep test) level 4.2 Training for the role Step 1 Your initial military training teaches you how to be a soldier, covering everything from fieldcraft to how to handle a rifle. If you join as a Junior Soldier (under 17 years and 6 months), you’ll do a 23-week basic military training course at Harrogate. If you join as a Regular Soldier (over 17 years and 6 months), you’ll do the regular 14-week adult basic training. Step 2 In some circumstances, you may join as a lateral entry candidate. This follows a similar recruiting process as a standard RCAM applicant, however, instead of attending an audition, you will have an initial interview with the Principal Director of Music (Army) and attend the one-week Bandmasters selection course. If successful, you'll then go on to standard-entry soldier assessment then attend Reserve training. After successfully completing these modules you will then enter your trade training. Qualifications you could get after training Once you’ve joined, you can gain qualifications in performance, conducting and more. Subsidised Bachelors / Masters degrees. Performance and musical direction diplomas from the Associated Board Royal Schools of Music. BTEC Level 2 Qualification in Music. Pay & benefits Earn £18,687 a year during training. When you have completed 26 weeks' service or finished basic trade training – whichever comes first – your pay will rise to between 23,496 and £27,227. On completion of initial trade training you will earn £27,227. Bursary for Music Students. For a 4 year commitment to British Army Music, we are offering a bursary of up to £9,250 per year for up to a 3 year period to offset tuition fees during your studies. You must be studying a Bachelors or Master's degree in Music Performance at a British university or conservatoire. Alongside your studies, you will be encouraged to attend frequent Army band events throughout the year.

Monday, February 26, 2024

Did you find this discussion helpful?