Picture of How much input do I have into where I am based?

How much input do I have into where I am based?

Picture of Greg
3 responses

Charlie Q. asked a question to Greg H.

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Last reviewed: Monday, October 14, 2019

Picture of Greg H.

Greg H.

Royal Military Police NCO

Hi Charlie, When it comes to assignment locations, we do this thing called the PPP; Personal Posting Preferences. On your PPP you will put three preferences of where you want to go. You can also put negative choices to for places you don’t want to go. Normally, so long as there is a space for you where you have asked to go, you will go there. Ultimately though, the needs of the service comes first and, although rare, you may have to go somewhere not on your PPP. In most trades you move location every 2-3 years and, for me, I have been lucky enough to get my first choice of location each time. So yes, you do get input; but remember, the needs of the service comes first.

Friday, August 2, 2019

Luke V.

combat medical technician

Hi Charlie Like Greg said it does depends how long your posted to a regiment, some 2 or 4 years but there are short term posting to overseas like Canada where I was there for 10 months on a short term posting 100% you have an input on where you want to be based but not all the time you will get the first one , lucky like Greg said he’s been lucky and got his first posting as where I haven’t been so lucky I got my second one for the last two postings as short staffed for that area. If you have any more questions please ask away , hopefully this helps you Luke

Sunday, September 15, 2019

Zoe O.

Corporal, Adjutant General's Corps, Staff and Personnel Support AGC(SPS).

Good Afternoon Charlie, It all depends on which trade you are. For example, I am Staff and Personnel Support (SPS) within the Adjutant General's Corps (AGC) and we move jobs averagely every three years. The AGC(SPS) are attached to every British Army unit within the UK and overseas. The range of opportunity to be posted up and down the country and overseas is probably the largest within the British Army. As Greg stated, you put in your preference for where you want to be based and it will be considered. I have been lucky so far within the SPS as I asked to be posted to Yorkshire and I received Ripon which is in North Yorkshire. Then I asked for Winchester and I received Worthy Down in Winchester. From experience, I know that most people within the SPS receive the postings they request. I was originally in the Royal Logistic Corps as a Movement Controller and postings were very limited in this job meaning you could only be based at a couple of places for your whole career. Being in the SPS means I can go anywhere and it is the main reason I transferred to the SPS. I hope this helps. Zoe

Monday, October 14, 2019

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?