Picture of Where might I be placed as a GDMO?

Where might I be placed as a GDMO?

Picture of Tori
1 response

Additional information

Hi, I'm an F2 in Chelmsford, looking to join the army as a GDMO, with a view to applying to anaesthetics later (but I'm flexible there). I was wondering about the posting geographically, where might you be based as a GDMO? Also , do you know many army doctors who have gone on to work for organisations such as MSF? And lastly... are there opportunities working in Nepal? Did my elective there and loved it (although I appreciate this is quite a niche question!)

Sam O. asked a question to Tori C.

Category: Career Advice

Date asked: Thursday, December 10, 2020

Last reviewed: Thursday, December 10, 2020

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hi Sam, If you're in F2 I would apply asap if you're thinking about it! (you can always change your mind later, but it's quite a long application process, or at least it was a few years ago!) GDMOs can be posted anywhere there is an RMO (GP) who is a GDMO supervisor, so the possibilities change each year as the RMOs all move around every couple of years. UK wide there are usually various options, sometimes there are also options abroad (Germany used to be quite popular with GDMOs) - usually you won't be sent abroad for a posting unless you ask to go (unless they are short on spaces and someone needs to go but there are no volunteers), but you will of course be sent abroad on various exercises/deployments. The more common areas for GDMOs to end up in include Aldershot, Salisbury/Tidworth area, Catterick and Edinburgh. We have RMOs who work in Nepal on a more permanent basis, and I can think of a few GDMOs who have been out there for shorter stints, so it could be a possibility. I don't know of anyone who has gone on to work for MSF, but there is no reason you couldn't do that. I know of a few allied HCPs who have left the military and gone on to work for similar organisations. Hope that helps, let me know if you have any more questions.

Thursday, December 10, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?