Picture of After graduating from RMAS as a military doctor, do you get a choice in where you are as a GMDO? Where can you practice?

After graduating from RMAS as a military doctor, do you get a choice in where you are as a GMDO? Where can you practice?

Picture of Tori
1 response

Anonymous asked a question to Tori C.

Category: Career Advice

Date asked: Thursday, January 9, 2020

Last reviewed: Saturday, January 11, 2020

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hello, While you are at RMAS you will most likely have a talk on the application process for postings. They often try to predict which jobs will be available, and may be able to give you an idea of what the options could be. After RMAS you spend Jan-May doing the post graduate medical officers course in DMS(W) (Lichfield). I can't remember exactly when the board sits (I think in March), but you will get told which jobs are available and you will be invited to submit a postings preference proforma. A board will then review all the PPPs and allocate GDMOs accordingly. Some postings are more popular than others, so not everyone will get their first choice. Most of the time you get one of your choices, or something similar, but occasionally GDMOs do get posted to places they would rather not have gone. In my year group there were 2 'directed postings', everyone else was happy with their postings. The options are very variable. You are always allocated to a medical regiment as well as a GP surgery with a GP supervisor. Postings vary from year to year but generally include places all over the UK as well as some overseas jobs (Germany for example).

Saturday, January 11, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?