Picture of I like the idea of being in the Army but I don't want to kill people, is there a job where this is possible?

I like the idea of being in the Army but I don't want to kill people, is there a job where this is possible?

Best discussions & stories
4 responses

Additional information

I like the idea of being in the Army, but I don't want to kill people, is there a job that I could do which means I don't have to do this?

Johnson W. asked a question to British Army

Category: Career Advice

Date asked: Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Last reviewed: Friday, May 22, 2020

Piers B.

Corporal, Team Commander

Thanks for a great question. Being in the army can sometimes be a dangerous job regardless of what trade you are. We use the phrase "soldier first" to emphasize that every soldier regardless of trade should know how to defend themselves and others if it should come to it. However should you feel strongly about not being put in a position to potentially have to do this there is roles that can mitigate this risk. Roles such as HR and medical would be less exposed to these risks and if you mention your beliefs before a potential deployment you may get the option to stay behind or move somewhere with zero chance of this happening. This would not affect you or your career whatsoever. Ultimately your beliefs and views are your choice and the army will support you. This would be something to mention during selection and training so that the army system can point you in the right direction. I hope this answered your question! Piers

Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Mark I.

Regimental Recruiting Warrant Officer

The aim of War is peace. You will be able to find a role within the Army that will still be of massive benefit that isn’t directly a combat role. Like combat support, logistics for example.

Wednesday, July 24, 2019

James A.

Reconnaissance Platoon soldier

Nobody joins the army wanting to kill. The aim of our British army is protect the interest of our country The majority of our combat roles deploy in a training and mentoring role working alongside foreign countries. There are a vast amount of job roles available that support frontline combat roles. The Job role finder on the British Army website will have a list of jobs to choose from.

Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Marcus A.

That is a nice question and I love that also

Friday, May 22, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?