Picture of Could you please explain the pension scheme and what benefits I would receive from a military pension?

Could you please explain the pension scheme and what benefits I would receive from a military pension?

Picture of Katie
3 responses

Anonymous asked a question to Katie

Category: Employee benefits

Date asked: Friday, October 4, 2019

Last reviewed: Sunday, November 10, 2019

Picture of Katie

Katie

Staff Officer - Projects for People

Hi there, Thanks for your question. All members of the armed forces are automatically enrolled into the Armed Forces Pension Scheme (AFPS). Unlike any other public scheme, personnel do not contribute as it is paid from the public purse. It is one of the most generous pensions available in the UK. If you join the Army now you would be enrolled onto the AFPS 15. In order to be eligible to receive any pension benefits, you will be required to serve for a vesting period of 2 years, starting from your first day of paid service. Every year, the MOD will then add an amount equal to 1/47th of your annual pensionable earnings for that year, to your individual ‘pension pot’. In addition to a pension, you may also be entitled to an Early Departure Payment (EDP). The EDP is an additional benefit which is entirely separate to your pension. The purpose is to retain Regular personnel in Service through to at least age 40 and to compensate for the fact that a full career to age 60 is not available to the majority in the Armed Forces. The amount received will obviously vary for each individual depending on rank and time served so I can’t give you any idea of how much this would be I’m afraid. However, the Armed Forces has one of the best pension schemes, designed to recognise the hard work and sacrifices made by Service personnel. If you serve for 12 years or more you would also receive a Resettlement Grant if you have not reached your immediate pension point. This is not linked to your pension entitlement but is intended to help you adjust to civilian life. I hope this answers your question. Katie

Saturday, October 5, 2019

Anonymous

hi there, so let say i decided to leave the army after 5years of service, will i still get my pension pay every month?

Sunday, November 10, 2019

Picture of Katie

Katie

Staff Officer - Projects for People

After a short period of Service, such as 5 years, you would only get a monthly payment once you reach your State Pension Age.

Sunday, November 10, 2019

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?