Picture of What's the work/life balance honestly like in the army?

What's the work/life balance honestly like in the army?

Picture of Jen
1 response

Additional information

I've already applied to join and it doesn't really bother me if the work/life balance isn't great I'd just like to know

Lewis Z. asked a question to Engineering

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Last reviewed: Monday, July 5, 2021

Picture of Jen C.

Jen C.

Reservist Brigade SO2 SPS

Hi, that's a great question. Initially, whilst in training, whether to be a soldier or officer it is far more work balanced than life! Once you finish your training and are posted to a unit your work / life balance is much the same as civi street - 0800hrs - 1700hrs working hours with breaks and sport / gym time etc included in that. Many units have a later start on a Monday (to allow people to travel on a Monday morning rather than a Sunday night if they live away from camp), have sports afternoon on a Weds afternoon and then usually finish around 1330 on a Friday to allow people to travel wherever they want to spend the weekend. During the evenings you could join a civi club or meet up with civi friends. Obviously there will be times you have more of a work balance; when you are on exercise, or deployed. Then the needs of the Army comes first but you will have lots of notice before these deployments. Good luck with it all - definitely should be working to live, not living to work!

Monday, July 5, 2021

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?