Picture of What is life like as an army ODP?

What is life like as an army ODP?

Picture of Tori
1 response

Additional information

I am interested in becoming an ODP within the army so want to find out as much as I can about the role

Anonymous asked a question to Medical

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Last reviewed: Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hello, I am sure you have probably already seen the info on our website for ODPs, but just in case, here is the link https://apply.army.mod.uk/roles/army-medical-service/operating-department-practitioner I am afraid I don't know too much about being an ODP in the Army, but as far as I know most ODPs will be posted to either field hospitals or joint hospital group hospitals (Frimley Park, Northallerton, Portsmouth, Plymouth or the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham). While in the UK you will primarily work in one of the above areas to ensure your clinical skills are kept up to date, those of us in secondary healthcare work closely alongside our NHS colleagues. I am afraid that is probably the extent of my knowledge (I work in general practice and don't come across many army ODPs unfortunately!). If you start an application on the army website, it won't tie you in to anything, but it will help you get more information on the role and during the application process you should have the opportunity to speak to someone in the role and ask more questions. Sorry I can't give you more of an insight!

Wednesday, April 15, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?