Picture of Can I spend a few years as a qualified adult nurse within normal NHS UK Hospitals and then apply for Army Nursing?

Can I spend a few years as a qualified adult nurse within normal NHS UK Hospitals and then apply for Army Nursing?

Picture of Tori
1 response

Additional information

I qualify as an adult nurse in March and want to get experience first before joining the Army; but I don't want it to effect my experience as it seems that students who are newly trained in the Army get more of an advantage?

Anonymous asked a question to Medical

Category: Career Advice

Date asked: Sunday, November 10, 2019

Last reviewed: Sunday, November 10, 2019

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hello, You can definitely spend a few years working for the NHS before joining the Army. In terms of newly trained nurses having more of an advantage, I don't believe that is the case, or it is certainly not something any of the military nurses I have met have ever mentioned. It is worth starting an application so you can discuss your concerns with someone from the QARANC team in more detail, but I can't imagine it makes much difference, if anything, having more clinical experience prior to commissioning may be a good thing. I worked for the NHS first before joining the Army, as a doctor rather than a nurse, but the benefits were choosing which hospital I wanted to work in (the choice for military doctors and nurses is more limited and while you can express a preference, you may not get it) and it means that I now have an idea of what it is like to work for both organisations, so I can plan my career with a bit more insight. The downside is primarily financial as military personnel tend to be paid more than NHS staff. I hope that helps, and as I said above, I would consider starting an application so that you can discuss this is more detail with the QARANC team.

Sunday, November 10, 2019

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?