Picture of Is it possible to start the nursing degree through the Army age 31? Or is it to late to consider this career?

Is it possible to start the nursing degree through the Army age 31? Or is it to late to consider this career?

5 responses

Additional information

I am 29 Currently completing a degree and eating to dual train but as a Nurse in the Military. However I will be 31 when I am able to begin my degree.

Anonymous asked a question to Medical

Category: Career Advice

Date asked: Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Last reviewed: Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Rachel L.

Medical Support Officer

Thank you for your question. I will guide you to the Army website https://apply.army.mod.uk/roles/army-medical-service/army-nurse JOIN AS A STUDENT NURSE We also train our own nurses. You will complete a 3 year degree programme that will give you professional registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Council. You will be well supported by military and civilian University staff at the Defence School of Healthcare Education within Birmingham City University and will then be employed as a Registered Nurse by the Army. After successful completion of your Student Nurse Training you will wear the rank of Acting Corporal. Your first unit will be a Defence Hospital Unit, where you will complete a comprehensive preceptorship package to find your feet as a Registered Nurse including a post qualification rotation programme to allow you to develop in acute areas of practice. Training Step 1 - You join the Army as a Soldier and complete Phase 1 Training prior to starting your university course. Step 2 - Following university, you then complete a short Transition to Military Practice Course, after which you will be assigned to a Defence Medical Group Hospital (DMG) to commence your preceptorship and rotation programme and begin life as an Army Nurse. JOIN WITH A BURSARY Worth up to £42,000. If you are already in your student nurse training or soon to embark on your Adult or Mental health pathway within the NHS with a guaranteed place you could apply for an Army Nursing Bursary. £5,000 for each year of training and on successful completion of your Student nursing course and successfully finishing officer training, you will be given a lump sum of £27,000. You will then enter the Army as a Registered Nurse and be assigned to a Defence Medical Group Hospital unit, where you will receive a comprehensive preceptorship package with excellent mentorship from clinical practice educators. The entry requirements for age is 35 years and 6 months so if you follow the link and look through here or indeed contact the recruitment 0345 600 8080. They will be able to help you more. I hope this helps.

Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Anonymous

Hi Yes that is helpful I’ve read this on the job page too thank you! However I’m wondering because the entry age is 35y and 6 months - is that when you have to finish service or if your already enlisted can you continue to serve past this age. Thank you

Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Rachel L.

Medical Support Officer

No that is an entry requirement you will be signed up for a certain amount of years as a return of service, normally 12 years. Please call the recruitment team as they will be able to answer these questions.

Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Anonymous

How often can you expect to be back home through the year? Is it possible to manage with a young family?

Sunday, May 10, 2020

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hello, Managing a young family while in the Army is very much a personal choice. Some families manage well, others decide it is not for them. It is something you should think carefully about. If you are planning to join before starting your nursing degree then you will be away for phase 1 training and then you will complete your degree. Details of phase 1 training can be found here https://apply.army.mod.uk/what-we-offer/regular-soldier/training . You will get some weekends off to return home. After phase 2 you will complete your degree in Birmingham, the course details can be found on the university website. In terms of how often you expect to be home once you are qualified, it depends what you mean. When you are assigned to a hospital to complete your rotations, if you have a family, you will be entitled to service family accommodation. This consists of a house (size dependent on family size - and sometimes rank). So your family can move around with you, if that is what you want. Your work schedule will vary depending on your rotations. During the rest of you career, deployments will come up, the length of these will vary. If you would like more information on life as an army nurse you will get opportunities to ask questions during the application process. In the mean time let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

Tuesday, May 12, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?