Picture of can women wear the mens uniform

can women wear the mens uniform

8 responses

Anonymous asked a question to Combat

Category: Diversity

Date asked: Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Last reviewed: Thursday, September 10, 2020

Zoe O.

Corporal, Adjutant General's Corps, Staff and Personnel Support AGC(SPS).

Hello thanks for your question. If you are referring to our normal everyday uniform which is called MTP (the camo uniform), then it is unisex. Both men and women wear this and there isn't any differences. Looking more at parade dress, women traditionally wear skirts and men wear trousers. I hope this helps Zoe

Wednesday, January 8, 2020

M. D.

So can women wear the men’s parade dress?

Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Licarl L.

CET member

Hi there, our daily working uniform (MTP) is unisex but the service dress (FAD) is trousers for men and skirts for women. I hope this helps.

Thursday, January 9, 2020

Anonymous

So what if one doesn't wear trousers as a female at all? Can she opt for skirts throughout?

Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Picture of Katie

Katie

Staff Officer - Projects for People

Hi there, If women choose to wear trousers for their parade dress they can, if they would prefer to wear a skirt then that is fine too. So long as it is issued uniform and had been tailored to fit correctly so that it is smart, it doesn’t matter if a female chooses to wear a skirt or trousers. For our everyday uniform, MTP (referred to as combats), there is no skirt option, everyone wears trousers as it is the most practical for the hands-on work we do. I hope this helps. Katie

Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Sandra S.

Just found this and responses are conflicted. I've had this worry for a long time. When I go to Sandhurst, can I simply opt for trousers as a female?

Thursday, July 23, 2020

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hi Sandra, When this question was first asked, the initial responses were correct according to Army policy. However, since then, the Army Sergeant Major has confirmed that the dress policy is changing to allow women to choose to wear trousers for all types of dress. So Katie's answer is the correct one now.

Monday, July 27, 2020

Royall Didi M.

This has been so helpful, I am looking forward to join the British army hopefully this year. Sending love and support from Kenya.

Thursday, September 10, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?