Picture of I am a transgender man, would I be able to be issued a men's uniform for ceremonies, even though I haven't transitioned?

I am a transgender man, would I be able to be issued a men's uniform for ceremonies, even though I haven't transitioned?

Picture of Bethan
1 response

Additional information

Uniforms

Anonymous asked a question to Music and Ceremonial

Category: Diversity

Date asked: Monday, May 25, 2020

Last reviewed: Monday, May 25, 2020

Picture of Bethan W.

Bethan W.

Defence Leadership

Hi there, thanks for your question. As an individual who identifies as transgender you would be free to select either male or female ceremonial uniform. I believe the only current stipulation is that you cannot mix orders of dress, this means you would need to choose either 'all male' or 'all female' components for that uniform, rather than parts of each. That said, in the Corps of Army Music we tend to wear the most practical ceremonial dress for our role, considering our job means we are routinely on parade outside for long periods of time, when the weather can be inclement. This means female musicians most often wear trousers anyway, and this helps to ensure we all look the same and as smart as possible, regardless of gender, on parade. The British Army fully supports applications from potential soldiers and officers who are transgender, and we already have a number of serving individuals across all ranks for whom this is the case. Concerns about gender identity or uniform is certainly not a barrier to joining us. I hope that helps and do let me know if you have any further questions, Bethan

Monday, May 25, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?