Picture of I am a female-to-male transgender male. Must i have completed my physical and legal transition to train with the men?

I am a female-to-male transgender male. Must i have completed my physical and legal transition to train with the men?

4 responses

Additional information

Or would someone, like me, first have to take part in training with women?

Michael V. asked a question to Georgina Z.

Category: Diversity

Date asked: Thursday, September 12, 2019

Last reviewed: Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Georgina Z.

Marketing Manager

Hi, I am no expert in this so have sent this question to a medical expert to ask as think it would be better having a professional opinion. I will get back to you as soon as I know. Thanks for asking though.

Thursday, October 17, 2019

Todd I.

I would also like to know how much of my physical transition has to be complete before I can train with other men. I would also like to ask what should I do if I'm harassed for being transgender?

Sunday, October 20, 2019

Picture of Greg H.

Greg H.

Royal Military Police NCO

Hi Todd, I would like to think in this day and age nobody would harass anybody else for being transgender. There has been a lot of diversity and inclusion training in the army over the last few years and, hopefully, most people have an understanding of what you are going through. That being said, the army also has a robust procedure in place for dealing with harassment or bullying of any nature. Your chain of command would support you immensely and you also have the Royal Military Police who can offer you advice and support should it be needed.

Friday, October 25, 2019

Picture of Sarah R.

Sarah R.

SQMS Accomodation NCO

Hello there, this depends on what are meaning by training with the males. All training as far as I know is mixed unless Infantry. The only segregation you might face/need is changing rooms, I have not long been out or transitioning and I am very much aware that the other females in my Garrison are not comfortable with me being in the same changing room as they are but what they don't know or seem to understand is that I am not overly comfortable with being in a changing room with them. So I have my own changing room that isn't being used for my normal day to day use. As for living accommodation I live in Single Living Accommodation (SLA) and these are all single person rooms with en suite facilities. In basic training I am unsure what would be the arrangement but something will be put in place.

Tuesday, December 3, 2019

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?