Picture of You said you were in a non-deployable role; is this the case for all specialties  until consultancy?

You said you were in a non-deployable role; is this the case for all specialties until consultancy?

Picture of Tori
3 responses

Additional information

I'd like to know if every trainee is in a non-deployable role until they fully qualify?

Anonymous asked a question to Tori C.

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Last reviewed: Monday, February 17, 2020

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Generally speaking, yes. As we complete the same training as our NHS colleagues, we need to meet the same requirements, including number of days in training each year. We do have a little wiggle room and you get a certain number of 'military days', not enough for a deployment though!

Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Anonymous

Thank you for your quick response! And how would you say your work differs from the equivalent in the NHS? Which courses have you been able to do through the army? And how is adventure training and sport integrated into everyday army job life? Thank you!

Friday, February 7, 2020

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

I currently work on the same rota as my NHS colleagues. However during training I will do slightly different rotations (military psychiatry and defence rehabilitation for example). Saying that, I know of trainees in other hospitals that are completely supernumerary and have more say in their hours, its very location dependent! I haven't done any extra courses during training just yet, only compulsory military general practice courses. I did more during my time as a GDMO, some of these are compulsory (5 months on the Postgraduate Medical Officers Course covers various compulsory courses and some optional ones), and I also did APLS and attended a few conferences I found interesting. Some colleagues have done USS courses and Surgical skills courses, whether or not these were funded I am not sure (usually if you can show the course is beneficial or required for your career then there is funding available). AT and sport is well integrated into life when you are a GDMO, you just need to be slightly proactive in your approach. Volunteer for a regimental sports team, or try out for the Army medical serves teams. There are often AT trips organised by regiments which you can try and get on, and if you deploy or go on exercise for any period of time then there is often an AT package on the end. As a trainee it can be more difficult due to fitting everything around your training. I have friends who play Army level sport and they can use their 'military days' for this, rather than needing to take annual leave. Lots still play sport but in their own time (evenings/weekends). I think the biggest difference I have found between working for the NHS and the military is that I feel better supported and more valued now.

Monday, February 17, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?