Picture of When applying to be a doctor, do you attend the same briefing and main board as people who are not applying to be PQO's?

When applying to be a doctor, do you attend the same briefing and main board as people who are not applying to be PQO's?

Picture of Tori
1 response

Additional information

I was looking for more information about the AOSB and progression to Sandhurst as a PQO. Is assessment different for PQO's ?

Anonymous asked a question to Medical

Category: Interview Tips

Date asked: Friday, April 24, 2020

Last reviewed: Friday, April 24, 2020

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hello, I am going to answer this in the hope it hasn't changed significantly in the last 4 years, but I would advise having a chat with your candidate support manager (you will be given a CSM when you apply) as well. Briefing board is done with non-PQOs, there happened to be another PQO on my briefing board, but the majority were applying for the long commissioning course. There was a period were it wasn't compulsory for PQOs to attend a briefing board, but if you get a choice, I would highly recommend it. It made main board far less daunting and I learnt lots of useful things at briefing. Main board consists of different groups, so there will be non-PQOs there, but your group will be made up of PQOs - so all your command tasks, debates, teaching etc.. will be with PQOs. The only difference between us and the rest of main board was that we had a member of the Army Medical Services conduct one of our interviews. Once non-PQOs pass main board that is it for them. We have two extra parts to our application process - a familiarisation visit and an RAMC interview. The fam visit is to RMAS (Sandhurst) and you will get talks from serving doctors, learn more about the Army and have a chance to ask questions in an informal setting. The RAMC interview used to also be at RMAS, I think it still is but I'm not completely sure on that one. It consists of an interview with a board of assessors from the RAMC. This is the important bit, most doctors will pass main board, the real selection is done at the interview. Prior to starting the commissioning course at Sandhurst you will also attend a pre-course briefing, I think mine was in June/July time. It is mostly a chance to meet your future colleagues, do a fitness test, and pick up some of your kit so you can break your boots in before you start the course.

Friday, April 24, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?