Picture of Is having a PhyD too qualified for a field doctor position?

Is having a PhyD too qualified for a field doctor position?

Picture of Tori
3 responses

Frankie I. asked a question to Medical

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Thursday, June 25, 2020

Last reviewed: Sunday, June 28, 2020

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hi Frankie, In order to answer your query properly, please could you expand on your qualification, I am not familiar with a PhyD? It also depends on what you mean by field doctor. Our doctors who regularly deploy to provide pre hospital emergency care are either GDMOs (General duties medical officers, a doctor who has finished their foundation years but not yet commenced specialty training) or RMOs (Regimental medical officers, qualified general practitioners). However other doctors who work in secondary health care do also deploy, although usually to a slightly larger healthcare/hospital set up. To become a GDMO you can either apply for a bursary or join as a direct entrant. To apply for a bursary you need to have gained a place at medical school, it is best to apply in your first or second year. To join as a direct entrant you should have graduated from medical school and completed your foundation year training, it is best to apply during your first foundation year. To join as an RMO you may either join as a GDMO and go on to complete your general practice specialty training with the Army, or alternatively you may have already completed your GP training while working for the NHS. Both RMOs and GDMOs work in a primary healthcare setting while in the UK and not on exercise or deployments.

Friday, June 26, 2020

Frankie I.

Tori, In addition to my training as a doctor for the NHS, i got my PhyD- a doctorate similar to a PhD but whilst a PhD is in Philosophy, a PhyD is in psychiatry.

Friday, June 26, 2020

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Frankie, Thank you for clarifying. You didn't say what stage of training you are at or which position you are hoping to apply for, but hopefully my previous answer has given you some guidance. If you are currently in specialty training and looking at a change of career to a different specialty with the military then it is worth speaking to the recruiting team directly to find out what your options are, their contact details can be found at the bottom of this website page https://www.army.mod.uk/who-we-are/corps-regiments-and-units/army-medical-services/

Sunday, June 28, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?