Picture of I have quite a fear of public speaking and looking at a role in combat Intelligence, Will this be a problem?

I have quite a fear of public speaking and looking at a role in combat Intelligence, Will this be a problem?

Picture of Paul
1 response

Additional information

I am confident person in general but I just struggle with public speaking and I’m worried this is going to hold me back in the job?

Anonymous asked a question to Paul

Category: Application issues

Date asked: Thursday, March 26, 2020

Last reviewed: Friday, March 27, 2020

Picture of Paul

Paul

Intelligence Officer

Hello! You will be given opportunities throughout your application, selection, Phase 1 and Phase 2 to practice your public speaking. With the amount of briefs you will be doing in your trade training, you will a very confident public speaker by the time you go to your unit! However my advice would be to prepare yourself prior to this by doing e icebreakers to family or friends, then getting them to give you feed back on what you could do better. A you get better at this, perhaps try slightly longer briefs on a subject you find interesting and go through the same process. For the majority of people, public speaking is not something that we would normally do and so it is perfectly natural to be less than perfect at it. However, you will be given guidance and lots of practice at Phase 2 training, so you will not need to worry about it holding you back in your career! I hope this is helpful for you! Paul

Friday, March 27, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?