Picture of I'm thinking of applying to be a vehicle mechanic in REME. Is this a good choice? What would my day to day life be like?

I'm thinking of applying to be a vehicle mechanic in REME. Is this a good choice? What would my day to day life be like?

6 responses

Philip U. asked during the live chat Discover different roles in the Army to British Army

Category: Career Advice

Date asked: Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Last reviewed: Thursday, June 25, 2020

Colin S.

Atrificer Vehicles

Philip, I am a vehicle mechanic and have been for almost 20 years now and I still love the job, I is not like working in your local garage trust me.

Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Philip U.

Thanks Colin, is it difficult to learn, i'd like to leave the Army at some stage with some transferrable skills and think vehicle mechanics would be great....looks good fun also. I expect to get grade 5 gcses in most subjects.

Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Colin S.

Atrificer Vehicles

Its not difficult to learn, all the training is progressive and you will gain a lo of transferable skills such as NVQ lvl3 all the way to a degree in mechanical engineering and leadership skills on top

Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Alex K.

Can you get the degree if you join as a squadie?

Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Colin S.

Atrificer Vehicles

Alex, Yes if you join you have a lot of routes to degree learning and qualifications.

Thursday, June 25, 2020

Alex K.

Ah ok thank you

Thursday, June 25, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?