Picture of What is typically looked for in a candidate? Can you offer any advice for starting out in this field of work?

What is typically looked for in a candidate? Can you offer any advice for starting out in this field of work?

Picture of Bethan
1 response

Additional information

I’m a sixth form student who’s exploring how to become a musician in the army. Please may you answer a few questions?

Billy O. asked a question to Music and Ceremonial

Category: Career progression

Date asked: Saturday, December 5, 2020

Last reviewed: Monday, December 7, 2020

Picture of Bethan W.

Bethan W.

Defence Leadership

Hey Billy, Another great question, thanks. We look for musical potential in candidates who want to join British Army Music, not necessarily the finished article or someone who gives the most technically polished performance, but someone who is determined to work hard to develop their instrumental skills with a positive attitude. You need to be around Grade 5 (or equivalent) on your instrument as a minimum ideally to audition, but it's always worth discussing your individual circumstances with our team who will be able to offer more detailed advice. You can email them here: [email protected]. There is no typical British Army Music candidate, but other good things to work on, as well as practicing instrumental performance, would be your sight reading skills, technical exercises like scales and arpeggios, and music theory. Along with that, potential Army musicians will also need to maintain their physical fitness standards in order to be successful at the Army selection board, and I'd also recommend working on your confidence and communication skills for things like short interviews and presentations. While you are studying you could consider attending some of our online masterclasses, advertised on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Corpsofarmymusic Hope that helps, and let me know if you have any more questions!

Monday, December 7, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?