Picture of What work schedule do you have when you're not on exercise and just at base please?

What work schedule do you have when you're not on exercise and just at base please?

Picture of Jen
2 responses

Additional information

Meaning, do you work Monday to Friday or any weekends?

Anonymous asked a question to Infantry

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Monday, July 19, 2021

Last reviewed: Monday, September 6, 2021

Daniel E.

Assistant Intelligence Officer

Hello and thank you for your question. I normal working week when we are not ready getting ready to deploy on exercise or overseas is as follows. Monday is usually a late start, around 0930-1000 and we work until lunch which is around an hour, then back in work until 1630-1700. Tuesday is usually a 0800-0830 start with PT and work until lunch and then the same as Monday until the end of the working day. Wednesday is the same start as Tuesday without the PT until lunch, the we have a sports parade where you are able to conduct and sport that you like no matter how unique. Thursday is the same as Tuesday with PT and work, finishing around the same time. Friday is usually the whole unit conducting PT to finish the week around 1200-1230. Weekends are usually off unless you has a guard to do or you have messed up somewhere and you end up on extra duties for the punishment. If we are getting ready to deploy somewhere, its usually a lot busier with not as much time off. This is only an example from my Battalion, each Battalion is different and will do things in different ways so don't use this as evidence if the unit you join does things differently. I hope this has helped answer your question and if you have any more, please ask. -Danny

Thursday, September 2, 2021

Picture of Jen C.

Jen C.

Reservist Brigade SO2 SPS

Hi, I thought i'd add to Danny's answer - like he said every unit is different and although some weeks you might finish earlier, other weeks / days you might work long hours. In my last unit we had a late start on a Monday (to allow people to travel into work if they had gone 'home' for the weekend), Tues we'd have physical training at 0800hrs and work until 5pm. Weds, 0830 start but have a sports afternoon (sports parade after lunch), Thurs same as Tues and then Friday early finish (usually around 1300hrs). Sometimes you might have a weekend duty and other times (more often) you'd have the weekend off. If something was happening, ie a special visit (military VIP or royalty) or vehicle inspection etc then you'd have some very long working days. It really is swings and roundabouts though as not many jobs have late starts on MOndays and early finishes and the ability to play sport during the working day or attend a medical/dental appt or even be able (if your boss allows it) to drop your car in for a service or take your animal to the vets without putting in some leave.

Monday, September 6, 2021

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?