Picture of I'm really into my fitness so was wondering how much time you have for working out as a GDMO?

I'm really into my fitness so was wondering how much time you have for working out as a GDMO?

Picture of Tori
1 response

Additional information

Currently at med school, and love going to the gym, running, cycling and getting into crossfit too. I feel that training in the NHS, all my interests might have to take a back seat but i was hoping in the army that wouldn't be the case. I also really enjoy football, so was wondering if there were many female sports teams?

Gabriella P. asked a question to Medical

Category: Career Advice

Date asked: Sunday, July 26, 2020

Last reviewed: Sunday, July 26, 2020

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hi Gabriella, As a GDMO you will have loads of time. While you are in the UK you work in a military med centre, these are usually much more relaxed than NHS GP practices and if you wanted to go to the gym at lunch it would be very easy to, you often get a couple of afternoons off a week as well. If that's not enough, you are finished by 1630. There are gyms on military camps that are free to use. Most regiments have a sports afternoon on a Wednesday, it can vary as to what sports are available, but football is a common one. The Army has lots of female sports teams, if you are particularly keen on something then it is worth trying out for your regimental team or the army medical services team if your regiment don't have a team for that particular sport. If you're good enough then you could also look at joining the Army team. When you are on exercise or deployed there is usually lots of time for exercise and depending on where you are, there may be a small gym type set up for you to use. I loved the change of pace going from the NHS to the Army, I got to enjoy all the hobbies I already did, but also take up lots of new ones (if you are interested in learning to do something there are often Army clubs that can teach you at a fraction of the price it would cost if you paid for lessons in the civilian world).

Sunday, July 26, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?