Picture of What level is the audition at? Is level 5 cello okay?

What level is the audition at? Is level 5 cello okay?

Picture of Bethan
1 response

Additional information

I know that there are no strict qualification requirements, but at what level is your skill too low to be considered as a musician? I have no other qualifications in music apart from level 5 cello, and self taught ukulele and trumpet at a more basic level. Would any of that help me to be considered as a musician?

Anonymous asked a question to Music and Ceremonial

Category: Career Advice

Date asked: Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Last reviewed: Monday, August 9, 2021

Picture of Bethan W.

Bethan W.

Defence Leadership

Hi there, thanks so much for your question. Grade 5 is certainly not too low to apply for an audition, British Army Music are looking for your musical potential not the finished product. It's worth bearing in mind that the audition does involve a range of different aspects though. You will need to perform 2 contrasting pieces on your instrument, take an aural perception test, demonstrate some scales and arpeggios, and show an understanding of music theory. Make sure you check out this link here that tells you about all the different audition requirements: bit.ly/2JxbJ6d so that you have the best chance at success in the future. You can check out more about Army Music at our website here: www.army.mod.uk/who-we-are/corps-regimen… or Facebook page here: www.facebook.com/Royalcorpsofarmymusic. If you want to find out more detail about our careers then fill in our contact form here and one of the team will get back to you: forms.gle/hth5FLA9hD43HXYz7. Good luck with your practice and keep in touch, Bethan

Monday, August 9, 2021

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?