Picture of Once deployed to a warzone is it possible to take a short leave because being a single parent?

Once deployed to a warzone is it possible to take a short leave because being a single parent?

Picture of Jen
2 responses

Additional information

Reason; arranging issues for childs school future

Gerri U. asked a question to British Army

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Last reviewed: Thursday, October 21, 2021

James A.

Reconnaissance Platoon soldier

Hi gerri, thank you for your question. If you are deployed overseas on operation, depending on the length of the operation tour will depend if you are entitled to R&R, a period of time back at home. For example, a 6 month operational tour will accumulate approx 12-13 days R&R. When this time at home is will depend on the forecast for the operation or your role etc. Have you started an application yet gerri? Regards J

Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Picture of Jen C.

Jen C.

Reservist Brigade SO2 SPS

Hi Gerri, with regards to this question, i'd also look at what trade / job are you looking into? If you are infantry you may get more exercises or more chance of being deployed than certain other trades / capbadge / jobs. I was a single mum when i had my first daughter and it's amazing how much you can make it work. I had friends who, when on guard duty, i used to look after their babies and if i was on duty etc we'd help each other. If you deploy on exercise, as a single parent, you will have to make sure that you have someone around who can have your child - could be a nanny, au pair, family etc. You would be entitled to an army house too as a single parent. Good luck.

Thursday, October 21, 2021

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?