Picture of As a MH Nurse in the army, is it possible to be located in just one area, not moving around?

As a MH Nurse in the army, is it possible to be located in just one area, not moving around?

Picture of Tori
3 responses

Additional information

Ie: Will I have to follow the standard army life of being deployed and living in military housing, or could I be based in one hospital/one community area and only leave this area for short amounts of time for training/national emergencies etc?

Anonymous asked a question to Medical

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Last reviewed: Thursday, April 16, 2020

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hello, While MH nurses may not move around as much as other adult nurses, there are still a variety of places they can be posted, and various deployments they may be required for. It is usually not possible to spend your whole career in one place. You can submit a preference for location each time you are due a posting, but while they do try to keep us happy, they can't always guarantee you your first choice job. Moving around can sound a bit daunting, but it is not always as bad as people fear. If you have any particular concerns or questions about moving, please do let me know.

Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Anonymous

The biggest fear for myself is my partner, if he is settled in an area with a job role outside of the military, there is no confirmation for him that he will find a new job in my new deployment area?

Thursday, April 16, 2020

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

That is a common concern, and to an extent, the Army does expect our families to follow us around - it's one reason our accommodation and travel costs are heavily subsidised. In the UK it is not such a problem, lots of service couples choose to have a base in one area, and one partner will weekly commute. But if you get posted abroad it can make things more difficult. My husband is non military, but does work for the MOD, and his boss has been very helpful and he is able to work from home a lot of the time. It's not necessarily an option for everyone, but if your partner has the flexibility to choose a career where home working is possible that can be really helpful. Joining the Army is very much a family decision though, and it needs to be the right decision for both of you. Often it is harder being the person left behind, than it is being the person who is sent away.

Thursday, April 16, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?