Picture of what if i am a single mother?

what if i am a single mother?

Picture of Jen
3 responses

Anonymous asked a question to Infantry

Category: General

Date asked: Thursday, October 21, 2021

Last reviewed: Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Picture of Jen C.

Jen C.

Reservist Brigade SO2 SPS

Hi, there are lots of single parents in the army - i'm one and was when i'd only been in the army a year.

Friday, October 22, 2021

Anonymous

But joining as a single mother instead of becoming one whilst in the service… how would someone adjust or begin?

Saturday, October 23, 2021

Picture of Jen C.

Jen C.

Reservist Brigade SO2 SPS

During Basic training you would have to have someone to look after your child/children as it is a fully residential course - meaning you have to stay in camp (you do get some weekends off etc). From friends who've joined as single parents the hardest part is during basic training as it's an adjustment for you (new job, away from home and away from your child/ren) but equally for them too. After that, it does get easier - but like any job as a single parent there are times that you have to rely on help. Most kids are in nursery/childminders/wrap around child care. A lot of serving personnel with older kids find au pairs the answer (i had one for about 4mths). The Army has got so much better, even in the time i have been in, to look after its single parents better. In my last unit, they moved PT in the mornings until after school/nursery drop off so everyone could be included. We have the Army Parents Network which is also really helpful and quite often the go to for advice as someone has always 'been there, done it' or knows exactly where to find the guidance in army direction. I hope this helps.

Wednesday, October 27, 2021

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?