Picture of I want to join as an offcier but I now have a child with my partner. How much will be able to see my family?

I want to join as an offcier but I now have a child with my partner. How much will be able to see my family?

Picture of Jen
1 response

Daniel F. asked a question to Communications, Intelligence and IT

Category: Career Advice

Date asked: Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Last reviewed: Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Picture of Jen C.

Jen C.

Reservist Brigade SO2 SPS

To become an officer you have to attend the 44 wk commissioning course at The Royal Academy Sandhurst. For the first 5 weeks of training you wouldn't be able to see your family but after that depending on training you could see more of your family - you're just incredibly busy and exhausted. Lots of serving soldiers (both male and female) who become officers attend Sandhurst with children. The first year (during training) would be the most difficult. After you commission, if your family wants to move with you then the Army just becomes a 'normal' job. In most jobs you can take your children to school, have every weekend off for example. There may be times you have to deploy on exercise or Operations or you may have to attend a course away from home but lots of people manage a family and army life. The Army has a very active 'Parents Network' which fully supports Army parents.

Wednesday, May 26, 2021

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?