Picture of I am married and have a 14 month old son. How often would I be able to see them if I did officer training.

I am married and have a 14 month old son. How often would I be able to see them if I did officer training.

Picture of Jen
1 response

Additional information

I would ideally like to join full time and train at RMA Sandhurst but I am open to reservist training as well.

Joshua S. asked a question to Reserves

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Saturday, September 4, 2021

Last reviewed: Monday, September 6, 2021

Picture of Jen C.

Jen C.

Reservist Brigade SO2 SPS

Hi, great question. Sandhurst is 44 weeks (a year really including leave periods) and for the first 5 weeks you woudn't be able to see your family and friends - but you would have access to FaceTime/watsapp etc (albeit you'll be tired and busy). You have a long weekend on the wk 5 weekend and then after that depending on training/exercises etc you have your weekends and some people also get out to see friends and family on evenings if they are close by. I know Mum's who've gone through RMAS with little ones and even though it's been super tough on them they see if as short term pain for long term gain. You do have 2 weeks holiday for example at Xmas / Easter and are given a timetable early on to enable you to plan. There may also be serving soldiers who are going through RMAS to commission who have wives/husbands/children at home so you certainly won't be the only one. Reserves is very different and although you'd do a commissioning course it's 2 weeks but then you are working weekends and assume during the week (if you have a civilian job) and you'd also need to do army courses which would also be time away. It really is swings and roundabouts and very much depends on you and what you want out of military life. Good luck. If you have any more questions please ask. I have 3 children but i didn't have any when i went through RMAS although I did get pregnant 5 months after commissioning!

Monday, September 6, 2021

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?