Picture of As a Regular Officer, do you get promoted faster if you put extra effort into your job?

As a Regular Officer, do you get promoted faster if you put extra effort into your job?

Picture of LCoH Ashley
1 response

Ashwin S. asked a question to Combat

Category: Salary

Date asked: Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Last reviewed: Friday, January 28, 2022

Picture of LCoH Ashley O.

LCoH Ashley O.

Recruiting Co-Ordinator at ACC Norwich

Good Morning Ashwin and thanks for your question. In short, I would say yes is the answer to your question, but it's not the only thing to consider. What you're referring to is commonly known as "going above and beyond" in the military. This is definitely a requirement in gaining a promotion and moving up the ranks, and it's not anything specific which you need to do, it's different with each person and the situation they're in or the job they are currently doing. The reason i say this is because you might be putting extra effort into your job to complete more than what is required, but you must also make sure the basics of your job are complete too. As well as this, there are always pre-requisites for promotion. Various courses which might need to be completed at certain stages as well as minimum time served at a certain rank before you're eligible for promotion. So there is alot to consider here, and you will have a vast support network including a Careers Management Officer (CMO) whom will guide you through every step of the way in ensuring you achieve what you want to achieve as best as possible. I would always reccomend putting extra effort into your job where possible, because that can be what sets you apart from everyone else. Finding that skill or niche area where you can excel, can show why you should be chosen ahead of others fighting for promotion at that time. But you should also be aware of things like burnout. Working yourself too hard to the point where it can have a negative effect on your physical and mental health. A good work/life balance is absolutely key in the army, and it will be up to you and the choices you make to make the best decision for yourself and your career. If you're struggling in any way, there will be lots of people in your support network to go to if this becomes the case, where you will not be judged and you will always be taken seriously. So in short, yes it's always good to try and excel beyond your peers where you can, but remember not to lose focus on the basics first and don't be afraid to ask for help. I hope this answers your question, and best of luck for the future too.

Friday, January 28, 2022

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?