Picture of How did you train for your pre joining fitness test?

How did you train for your pre joining fitness test?

Picture of Amie
1 response

Anonymous asked a question to Combat

Category: Interview Tips

Date asked: Sunday, May 29, 2022

Last reviewed: Monday, May 30, 2022

Picture of Amie B.

Amie B.

MT JNCO

Hi there, As somebody who joined the Army Air Corps, I will provide my take on what I did to improve my fitness, but take a look at the fitness requirements below depending on the role you wish to join and this will give you an insight into what is needed; https://apply.army.mod.uk/roles Things have probably changed slightly since I took the fitness test to join the army, but I remember focusing on running so I could pass the (then) 2.4km run (it's now a 2km run). I focused on improving endurance and speed; I played a lot of football before joining the army, so considered myself better at short distances/ sprints. I worked on longer, steady state runs (5-10km) alongside intervals and hills. I also did body weight exercises (sit ups/ push ups etc) and ensured I ate a healthy, balanced diet (it sounds cliched, but this is beneficial to improving your fitness). Parkruns (5km) are a great way to improve your running ability. They are offered throughout the country every Saturday morning and cost absolutely nothing! You can track your runs each week too, and can see if you're making improvements on your time. Whilst the army does not expect people to be super-fit upon joining, there are minimum standards as mentioned before. Throughout training (and your career), you will be provided with PT sessions to help build and improve your fitness to the expected standard, so don't worry too much if you're not exceptionally fit right this second. Most training is progressive and you come out of training much fitter. Just to add, it's important you maintain the right mindset when it comes to training and fitness. If you work hard and continue to push yourself, you will reap the rewards. Hope that helps and good luck with the training.

Monday, May 30, 2022

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?