Picture of As an officer, are you able to do a degree in your spare time?

As an officer, are you able to do a degree in your spare time?

Picture of LCoH Ashley
1 response

Additional information

I am weighing up whether to do university first or go straight into the army and do a degree in my spare time while serving

Christian B. asked a question to Combat

Category: Work Life Balance

Date asked: Thursday, July 14, 2022

Last reviewed: Friday, July 15, 2022

Picture of LCoH Ashley O.

LCoH Ashley O.

Recruiting Co-Ordinator at ACC Norwich

Good Morning Christian and thanks for your question. When joining as an officer, some people will have already studied at university and others may not. You will always however be given the option to study towards a degree in strategic studies throughout your career within the army. This can of course be built upon later in life both in the army and out of it if you choose to. As well as this, the army offers a variety of other learning opportunities for its people to choose from. ranging from some apprenticeships, to learning credits which you can use to put towards other qualifications and skills. In my opinion, if you are unsure of whether or not to go to university first, i would suggest that you have a think about the role you would like to have as an officer in the British Army. If you are interested in joining one of the Engineer or Signals Regiments for example, then you will be more likely to go to these if you already have a good amount of experience in that area. Have a think about where your interests lie, and what job you can see yourself doing as an officer, and then you should from there be able to decipher which route is best for you. If you have any more questions or need any further advice then feel free to ask away or get in contact with your local Army careers office.

Friday, July 15, 2022

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?