Picture of Is it easy to enter the army for a mother of a six year old child ? Will I have to leave him during the training ?

Is it easy to enter the army for a mother of a six year old child ? Will I have to leave him during the training ?

Picture of Graeme
Picture of Jen
2 responses

Anonymous asked a question to Communications, Intelligence and IT

Category: Career Advice

Date asked: Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Last reviewed: Monday, August 7, 2023

Picture of Graeme J.

Graeme J.

Royal Armoured Corp, Tank Crewman.

How easy it is depends on the childcare provisions you put in place. While in training you will have to go through training unaccompanied. Once at a Unit there are other options and the Army have in place childcare assistance. It will be worth calling in your local careers office for a face to face chat and discuss the options.

Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Picture of Jen C.

Jen C.

Reservist Brigade SO2 SPS

Hi, initially it will be a difficult time and as Graeme said, it will very much depend on the provisions you have in place. The army has been named in the Times Top 100 as one of the best jobs for parents. The Army has also just introduced Wrap around childcare cover help which basically helps hugely (free!) towards the cost of b'fast / after school club. There are lots of people who have made the horrible sacrifice initially to join the army (short term pain) for long term gain, once you are in the army and are in an established job it's much easier (i have 3 children and had my 1st when i'd only been in the army a year). Good luck with it all.

Monday, August 7, 2023

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?