Picture of I would like to know who makes the final decision on who becomes a combat soldier

I would like to know who makes the final decision on who becomes a combat soldier

Picture of Greg
2 responses

Fonjah J. asked a question to British Army

Category: About us

Date asked: Thursday, August 8, 2019

Last reviewed: Monday, September 23, 2019

Picture of Greg H.

Greg H.

Royal Military Police NCO

Fonjah, Thanks for your question. Everybody that joins the British Army becomes a soldier. We have a focus on the soldier first ethos meaning that every soldier should be combat ready. There are only a few trades where combat is not the main focus, these are the medical and religious trades, although they are trained as soldiers so they can defend themselves should the need arise. What job you do in the army is determined by your grades at school, your score on the Army Cognitive Test and what jobs are available at the time of joining. A lot of this is down to you though. When you apply for the British Army, you will have a choice of what trades you can choose from. If you want to look at a solely combat based job, you want to look at jobs like Infantry, Artillery Gunner and Cavalry for example. Alternatively, if you want a technical trade where you have another job but also train in combat, those are available too. Look at apply.army.mod.uk/roles to find out more about the wide range of jobs available. I hope this helps and makes sense, if you need to any more information, let me know. Greg

Thursday, August 8, 2019

James A.

Reconnaissance Platoon soldier

Essentially you have the final say. If you have prepared well enough on your chosen job choice, passed your medical and gone to Assessment Centre. You are in full control whether you make the cut Fonjah! The staff at Assessment Centre are there to assess you and score your performance. If you are motivated and want a combat role, you will achieve one! The final interview at AC is not to pass or fail you, they are there to tell you whether you have been successful or not. If not, where to improve, if you are successful then they will offer you a career of a minimum or 12 years if you wish to accept.

Monday, September 23, 2019

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?