Picture of When choosing infantry as a role, can you choose what type of infantry soldier you are? E.g grenadier, marksman etc

When choosing infantry as a role, can you choose what type of infantry soldier you are? E.g grenadier, marksman etc

Best discussions & stories
3 responses

Philip I. asked a question to British Army

Category: Role Comparison

Date asked: Friday, August 2, 2019

Last reviewed: Wednesday, August 7, 2019

James A.

Reconnaissance Platoon soldier

Hi Philip and thank you for your question You do have a bit of Input in to what role you play within a section/platoon but it will mainly come down to what your good at. For instance, on your annual combat marksmanship test (army) if you achieve above a certain score you will have the option to become a marksman. If everyone is chosen on how good they are at a certain role then the section will have the maximum effect. I hope this answers your question J

Friday, August 2, 2019

Piers B.

Corporal, Team Commander

Thanks for the question. You will have the option to choose your cap badge and in most cases which battalion you are sent to. This will define what job you do, for example 5 Rifles are armoured infantry so if you choose this battalion you will work with armour. Take some time to read about every infantry regiment and what the battalions do. This will show you what roles you can choose from. Hope this answers your question! Piers

Friday, August 2, 2019

Mark I.

Regimental Recruiting Warrant Officer

Hi Philip, I think you may have got the answer from Piers D. and James M. Already, but in short. Infantry Soldier first. “Rifleman, Guardsman, Private” usually in a Rifle Platoon. Grenadier is a role within a Fighting Section in a Rifle Platoon, you will experience this role in your training a ITC Catterick. (You’ll need to be fit). Marksman is a standard of shooting achieved on your annual marksmanship test. (You’ll need to be a good shot for this). “You may also be earmarked for a Sharpshooter Role within a Platoon and if you have the potential you could be a Sniper”.

Wednesday, August 7, 2019

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?