10 responses

Anonymous asked a question to Medical

Category: Application process

Date asked: Thursday, August 15, 2019

Last reviewed: Friday, June 12, 2020

Picture of Tori C.

Tori C.

Regimental Medical Officer

Hello, You can join the Army Reserve as a Student Nurse, however, until you complete your Nurse training and are registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) you will fulfil an alternative role within the medical unit of your choice. More info is available on the Army website.

Friday, August 16, 2019

Picture of Katie

Katie

Staff Officer - Projects for People

Hi There, Thanks for your question. You can absolutely join the Army Reserves whilst you are studying. I did this when I was a student nurse and had the most amazing time in a Medical Regiment: I leant new combat and medical skills; went on some amazing adventurous training expeditions; got fitter; made loads of friends, and the extra money didn’t go down too badly either! As Tori has mentioned above you aren’t able to join as a Nurse until you have completed your training and registered with the NMC but you can do other roles. I was employed as a Combat Medical Technician and loved it, it was also really useful for my nursing training as I learn how to do extra medical skills early which were not covered until post-qualification as a nurse. I hope this helps but if you want to know more about the roles available head over to the Army website. Katie

Friday, October 25, 2019

Anonymous

I'm so glad I found this thread! I'd love to join the Army as a reservist student nurse, (I'm 36 now, so too old to join as a regular) I don't understand how I would fit it around my 3 year uni course/placements etc. I'll be making an appointment with my local army careers office once they re-open, (but thought I'd ask in here also) is it a matter of telling the army what days you have OFF, and they assign you to come in and do duties? This is something I cannot find the answer to on line. Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Picture of Katie

Katie

Hi there, I’m so pleased that our answers were helpful and that they’ve encouraged you to look in to joining the Army Reserve. Firstly, you are not actually too old to join the Regular Army. Once you have qualified you can join the the Army as a Professionally Qualified Soldier or Officer (PQs) up until the age of 50 years and 6 months. If you’re interested in this let me know and I can give you more information. If you think the Army Reserve would be a better fit for your then please read on. I found my commitment to the Army Reserve, whilst a full-time student nurse totally achievable. Most Reserve units will meet one evening a week, and maybe around one weekend a month. I found that most of my placements were very receptive when I asked to do an Early shift on that day, and a Late shift the following day (in case we decided to go to the bar after the training evening). If not, your Reserve unit will totally understand that you won’t be able to attend every week or weekend, they fully understand that life and work gets in the way at times. Most roles will ask you to aim to complete 27 days a year - and your weekly training session at your unit will count towards this, as will any exercises, training camps or courses. The medical courses will be particularly helpful as a student nurse and can often be done during your holiday periods. They also offer a rather good annual bonus if you meet your time commitment! You don’t need to wait until recruiting offices are back open, you can express your interest by filling out an application online and a recruiter will get in touch to talk you through your options. Have a look at the website here; https://apply.army.mod.uk/how-to-join/entryoptions/army-reserve-soldier And please come back to us if we can help in any other way. Good luck, and enjoy the experience! Katie

Thank you so much Katie. Your answers have helped me enormously. Infact, this changes everything! I didnt realise I could join as a regular if I was already qualified. I'm assuming I'm over the upper age limit to be a student nurse, is that correct? The reason I ask this, is because the next step for me, is to get a place on a nursing degree course, and spend the next 3 years at Uni, building up debt. My end goal is to be a nurse in the army full time, so if I could join as a student nurse, this would obviously help me financially - but if I cant be a student nurse with you, I will do the degree as a civilian, and then apply to the army once I've qualified and registered with the NMC. Again, thank you so much. You have no idea how helpful this is for me. Steph.

Picture of Katie

Katie

Hi Steph, No problem at all. My understanding is, the maximum age to be a student nurse in the Regular Army, and complete your training with us, is 35 years and 6 months. However, sometimes exceptions can be made so it is definitely worth getting in touch with the recruitment team ASAP and seeing what they can do. If not then at least you have the option of completing your training, and joining up subsequently. I wish you the best of luck and hope our paths cross in the future when you’ve successfully completed your training and are a registered nurse in the Army! Katie

Thank you Tori. I now know I can join being 36 years old (if I'm qualified and registered with NMC) but could I join as a student nurse at aged 36/37 years?

Picture of Katie

Katie

Hi Steph, I’ve just answered that one in my post above. Katie

Lucy V.

Hi Katie, I am currently studying nursing at Southampton uni as well and am really enjoying it:) I just wanted to ask what you did as a combat medic as a reserve? Is this a bit like healthcare assistant work ? Thank you so much - I hope that you are well ?

Friday, June 12, 2020

Picture of Katie

Katie

Hi Lucy, That’s great, Southampton is a great university and has an Officer Training Corps and lots of Reserve units locally. Combat Medical Technicians are more akin to paramedics. We also have Healthcare Assistants in the Army. As a Combat Medical Technician in the Army I learnt many skills that weren’t even covered in my four year nursing degree. You are taught to prescribe a certain number of drugs, give IV fluids, and conduct venipuncture to name just a few skills. It’s a great trade and works brilliantly alongside the nursing degree, especially if you have an interest in emergency medicine.

Friday, June 12, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?