Picture of can I choose my regiment in the Guards

can I choose my regiment in the Guards

9 responses

Additional information

What I wanted to know is, if I applied for the Guardsman role two questions 1. Can I choose to be in the Grenadier Guards. 2. If I can pick can I choose which company/battalion I am in e.g if I join I want to pick Grenadier and Queens company.

Max T. asked a question to British Army

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Last reviewed: Thursday, April 9, 2020

James A.

Reconnaissance Platoon soldier

Max, thanks for your question. Yes you can choose which battalion you go to. When your in ITC catterick, for phase 1 you will train as guards then choose which regiment you wish to go to before leaving phase 1. You will then train as that battalion and cap badge. When you pass out, you won’t get a choice initially until you have found your feet. Regards J

Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Max T.

So basically I can say at the end of Phase 1. “I want to be Grenadier Guards and Queens company” and they would put me through to what I selected and I would get the cap badge etc. At the end of training, my point being I want to join as exactly that when I’m older

Thursday, April 9, 2020

James A.

Thanks for your response. At the end of phase 1 you could put grenadier guards as your first choice. With regards to queens company, that is a company within the grenadier guards, that will be chosen by the grenadier guards when you pass out and arrive there

Thursday, April 9, 2020

Max T.

So it’s kind of like picking a high school they decide which Guard regiment you join? Is there a High Guarantee that you get the one you want?

Thursday, April 9, 2020

James A.

No you choose what regiment. Some people enter guards company in ITC catterick just wanting to join the guards where as applicants like yourself, have a specific regiment you wish to join so request to go there. Not many people don’t get their preferred choice. How old are you Max?

Thursday, April 9, 2020

Max T.

12, year 7, did you pick welsh guards?

Thursday, April 9, 2020

James A.

Your off to a great start! You have plenty of time to learn about the grenadier guards, get fit and prepare. Do tour best in your GCSEs and I’m sure we will see you in a few years buddy. Yes I chose the welsh guards, I knew from year 10 that’s what I wanted to do. Stay safe J

Thursday, April 9, 2020

Max T.

Thank you, you have been a great help James! I will leave you alone now, just a bit curious for, hopefully, my future job, that’s all 😂, again thank you. Hope to see you if I join in a few years, max

Thursday, April 9, 2020

James A.

Don’t hesitate to ask any further questions if you have any Max, great talking to you. J

Thursday, April 9, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?