Picture of How much will an in-service degree hold you back for the Engineering platoon officer? How are non-graduates affected?

How much will an in-service degree hold you back for the Engineering platoon officer? How are non-graduates affected?

5 responses

Esi I. asked a question to Engineering

Category: Role Comparison

Date asked: Friday, April 24, 2020

Last reviewed: Friday, April 24, 2020

Georgina Z.

Marketing Manager

There should be no reason why an in-service degree would hold you back. I have both a officer REME and RE friends who both did in-service degrees the first at Birmingham and the latter at Southampton. From watching their careers I would say it enhanced both of them as they have been incredibly successful and I know they thoroughly enjoyed their in-service degrees.

Friday, April 24, 2020

Esi I.

Thanks for your reply. How would you say being a non-graduate differs from being a graduate?

Friday, April 24, 2020

Picture of Fionidi

Fionidi

Officer Engagement

Choosing the In service degree (ISD) route will not hold you back per say but it will likely change your career profile. You should make sure you are fully aware of all your options before making this decision. From a REME point of view, at present you have the following options: 1. The ISD option: Extremely competitive and we can usually only offer one of these per intake, and so they are not something we would recommend relying on. In order to be eligible for an ISD you need to have no previous degree (you cannot use the ISD programme to gain a second degree) and you need to have the relevant qualifications/experience to be able to gain the degree. Bare in mind that if you are intent on competing for these places, many of our soldiers are also coming through the commissioning process, without degrees, and so there will be fierce competition for the ISD. The ISD Officers will follow an identical initial training programme, so completing a year at RMAS, followed by 4 months phase 2 training at MOD Lyneham. After this they will go to their first posting alongside all their peers. The first posting typically lasts 18 months, after which time most officers will move onto a second posting, while the IDSOs will start their university course (typically 3 years). Reduced REME platoon command experience means you must work harder on returning to the field force to ensure you pass mandatory REME Officer testing (EngO). 2. The Technical Bursary: This is a far less competitive route that has no negative impact on your career but comfortably helps fund you through University with a guaranteed job on the other side. The Army Undergraduate Bursary - Technical (AUBT) is open to anyone who wants to join one of the four technical Corps (Royal Engineers, Royal Signals, Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers or Royal Logistic Corps), and are studying, or applying to, an Army-endorsed engineering or science degree. The total financial value of each award is £25,000, which is divided between your remaining years of study. For those awarded the bursary in their final year, they will receive one payment of £25,000. Hopefully this helps! If you would like to discuss it further please feel free to get in touch. Fionidi

Friday, April 24, 2020

Esi I.

That helps loads, thanks. Would you be employed in the army as a reserve as you studied?

Friday, April 24, 2020

Picture of Fionidi

Fionidi

Officer Engagement

With the Technical bursary you would not be employed as an army reserve as you will not have had any military training - You will be encouraged to join a UOTC though. As an ISDO you will still be in the regular army but you will be a platoon commander in charge of UOTC/DTUS (Defence technical Undergrad Scheme) OCdts, where you will be expected to support and guide them on their way to RMAS using your previous experience.

Friday, April 24, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?