Picture of How often do you get to see your family and friends when you're in the Royal Engineers role?

How often do you get to see your family and friends when you're in the Royal Engineers role?

Picture of Caroline
1 response

Anonymous asked a question to Engineering

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Last reviewed: Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Picture of Caroline M.

Caroline M.

Troop Commander

Hi there, So it completely depends on what your Regiment and Squadron are doing at the time. If you are in barracks, you are likely to be able to see your friends and family every weekend if you wanted to whereas if you are away on exercise or deployments then you might be away for 6 months, although you do normally get two weeks of R&R where you can go home during that time. From my own experience once I finished training I was based in Germany for a few months so went back to the UK twice. Then when my Squadron moved to Catterick I was in the UK for a few weeks so I could see my friends and family most weekends. I then went on the Corps Alpine Camp so went to Austria for four weeks of skiing. I then went to the Falkland Islands for seven months so only saw my family for the 2 weeks of R&R. But when I got back I had about two months off. As you can see it varies. You can expect to be in the UK some of the time and away as well. Hope that helps. Caroline

Wednesday, August 26, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?