Picture of What is the route to becoming an Officer Pilot like? What hurdles must you overcome prior/during/after your time at RMAS

What is the route to becoming an Officer Pilot like? What hurdles must you overcome prior/during/after your time at RMAS

1 response

Anonymous asked a question to Combat

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Thursday, June 3, 2021

Last reviewed: Friday, June 4, 2021

Madeline J.

Wildcat Pilot

Hi there, Thanks for your question. To become an officer pilot you need to complete RMAS and be successful at interview in your second term. You also need to complete the pilot selection tests of which there are three stages. Stage one is the aptitude tests - a 6/7hr computer based test which looks at your spacial awareness, problem solving and maths skills. Stage two is the aircrew medical - an in depth medical that ensures you are fit to fly and critically, you have the right anthropomorphic measurements to safety fit in the cockpit. Lastly, once you are successful with the first two stages, you must complete Army Flying Grading - a 13 flight course in Middle Wallop that assesses your ability to learn to fly at the speed the military needs you to learn. This is usually over 3-4 weeks and can take place over you leave period at RMAS. These three stages take a while to complete and I would suggest you aim to get at least the aptitude test and medical done before you go to RMAS. This will give you a good idea of whether you have a shot at the Pilots' Course before you begin your training at RMAS. I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any more questions. There are lots of tips and extra information on the selection process in my questions section so feel free to take a look. Take care, Maddie

Friday, June 4, 2021

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?