Picture of Good morning. I want to apply for the officer pilot position, any advice on what to prepare/revise for to show aptitude?

Good morning. I want to apply for the officer pilot position, any advice on what to prepare/revise for to show aptitude?

2 responses

Additional information

General advice on what to study, should I improve maths/physics etc etc

Harry Q. asked a question to British Army

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Monday, June 1, 2020

Last reviewed: Friday, June 5, 2020

Madeline J.

Wildcat Pilot

Good morning Harry, Thank you for your question. Generally speaking there is not a huge amount you can do to improve your natural aptitude for the test, but there are a couple of little things you can practice to make sure you're as sharp as possible on the day. I would definitely recommend practicing some simple mental arithmetic such as speed-distance-time calculations, times tables, basic multiplying and division. The more comfortable you are with doing these types of sums in your head, the more it will offload you during the aptitude test. The BBC bitesize website has some really good basic introductions to all these elements and practice examples (if you need a bit of a reminder.) A large part of the aptitude test will look at your hand-eye coordination, so if you game at all then keep doing that! It's the best thing to keep you sharp. Also if you're a driver or learning to drive then this will be helpful too. Finally, there are several apps that have been designed specifically with these aptitude tests in mind. It's been a while since I did my tests so I'm afraid I can't recommend any one app in particular; but if you can find a brain training one and work that into your daily routine then it would also help. Anything that makes your mind work hard for a few minutes will be good practice. I hope that helps a bit. I've tagged Stuart M. in this as he is in the Corps Engagement Team and might have access to a few more helpful resources for you too. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with and best of luck with the tests - let us know how you get on! Take care, Maddie

Thursday, June 4, 2020

Stuart T.

Army Air Corps Engagement Team Warrant Officer

Hello Harry and thank you for your question. I have nothing really to add to the great advice that Maddie has provided so please do use it to help you research further. Have a look for computer-based aptitude apps like Pilot Aptitude Pro and Pilot Aptitude Training. These may give you a basic insight. Good luck to you. Stuart.

Friday, June 5, 2020

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?