Picture of what made you want to be a soldier and how old do you have to be to start training ?

what made you want to be a soldier and how old do you have to be to start training ?

Picture of Jen
1 response

Additional information

ive never been intrested in the army until i saw this ad online and its really motivated me to join, im aa nearly 17 year old girl and im worried that ill get treated differnly or judged. can i hear your story?

Ella B. asked a question to Reserves

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Thursday, August 19, 2021

Last reviewed: Thursday, September 9, 2021

Picture of Jen C.

Jen C.

Reservist Brigade SO2 SPS

Hi, as a female i can say i've never been treated differently or judged. Many females might hold back from a profession they want to do as they might worry they won't fit in but don't let this hold you back. Females have trodden the path before you and will continue after you. The army is just like every walk of society with so many individuals from different backgrounds. During phase 1 training (14weeks) you will meet females that you will bond with and be friends for life! One of the best things about being a female in the army - we don't really ever have to queue for the loos and quite often it's the boys queuing!!! You get to basically wear the comfiest clothes to work ever and don't ever need to think about what to wear to work! There's females in every part of the army and even if you don't necessarily work with another female there will be other females in the unit where you do work. One of the girls i've filmed recently is a vehicle mechanic - she's the only female in the garage where she works but where she works there's plenty of other girls on the camp she's at they just aren't vehicle mechanics! If you Google LadBible British Army females (These women are redefining what a soldier is) you can see her chatting about being a female in the military. It's a great film and the 3 girls had a great laugh doing it. They'd never met before and that's what's so awesome in the army - everyone has a shared interest and people tend to get on quickly with others. I've been on courses where i've been the only female in a syndicate but the lads have always treated me like one of them and if anything more like a younger sister (even when i've been older than them!!). My advice would always be, give it a go. If it isn't for you you have a chance to leave during basic training! I don't know anyone, even those who left in Basic training, who said they regretted it - it's a life experience if nothing else!! Good luck

Thursday, September 9, 2021

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?