1 response

Anonymous asked a question to Logistics

Category: Career Advice

Date asked: Monday, September 13, 2021

Last reviewed: Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Picture of Jen C.

Jen C.

Reservist Brigade SO2 SPS

Hi, there are lots of people within the army who are scared of water or can't swim. The Army physical training instructors will work with you on this. You don't swim often in the army (unless you choose to) but you do swim during basic training and will have to attempt the military swim test - but like i said, there are people along the way to help you. In the meantime, maybe try and get used to putting your head under water in the bath for a few seconds (start by just putting your mouth in and blowing bubbles in the water). Generally it's the thought of drowning that scares people so getting used to the feeling of your head being underwater without panicking is a good first start. Go to a swimming pool and just stand in the shallow end and walk to the part when you feel you can't go any more - keep trying to go further. Enrol in some swimming lessons. Or if you can't afford to, just spend time in a pool - hold onto the side and put your head in (start by blowing bubble again in the water). Eventually whilst still holding onto the side try lifting your feet (one at a time) until you feel confident enough to lay on your stomach in the water (the water will hold you up) and take your feet off the floor. Holding onto the side, start kicking your legs. Anything you can do in water will help you. I did my swimming instructors course 7 years ago so it's been a while since i wrote anything out like this, so i hope some of it at least helps. Good luck, take care and don't panic.

Tuesday, September 14, 2021

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?